Thursday, January 22, 2009

Another Restoration Before & After Story



The photo above was the only picture of my mom with her parents that she had. It was tiny and in sad condition. All she asked me to do was make a 5x7 copy of it. I decided to restore the picture as well and gave it to her as a present this past Christmas. I also gave her a pancake griddle (which she asked for) but which gift do you think was enjoyed more by both of us?

This was an extensive restoration and I lost track of how many hours I spent on it, but every minute I felt close to Mom and happy to be doing something uniquely special just for her.

The missing areas of the photo presented some fun challenges. The part of my Grandmother's elbow that is missing was replaced with my own elbow lifted from a recent photo. To replace the other areas of the photo took extensive and creative cloning and in some cases drawing in of details. To make the final picture fit a 5x7 frame without cropping out any of the details (that is my mother's chilhood home in the background, a detail I didn't think she'd want to lose) I added the textured gray border.

This is the picture of me from which I took the elbow:



Here is the final result:



Here's a Before & After look:

3 comments:

Germaine Ferrao -Lenn said...

Oh Valerie, this is fabulous, I have to get my pictures to you darling! I am still battling between my health, my daughter and her antics and a whole load of other problems here!! thank you for being my friend and listening to me!!

photoshop restoration and retouching said...

Great restoration work!!!

Kathleen said...

Wow Lady, you are amazing! This restoration has me in awe!